How are you doing with your exam preparation? I hope you are doing well and practice a lot. despite the fact that this is basically all you need, I”m going to help you a little bit. How?
I am sure that today’s post about Clothes and Fashion will save you 30 to 60 min. Instead of going to Google and trying to find relevant sources of vocabulary for this topic, just use materials I gathered together in one place. This means, I’ve done some research for you (I think as time passes I’m getting better and better at it) and found both useful and interesting articles, podcasts and videos about Clothes and Fashion.
What you will find in this article:
- Common questions from Part1,2 and 3 of speaking test.
- Collocations, words and phrases that will help you to talk about food and diet.
- How other people tell stories related to clothes and fashion.
- Links to useful materials which you can use to read articles, listen podcasts and watch video about what people wear, types of clothes and styles.
- Vocabulary from sub-topics and related areas such as: fashion, dress codes, different kinds of clothes.
Part 1 Sample Questions
- What type of clothes do you like to wear?
- What kind of clothes do people in your country usually wear?
- How important is fashion to you?
- What kind of clothes do you dislike?
- Do you think people behave differently in different kinds of clothes?
- What kind of clothes do people wear to work in your country?
- Are clothes expensive in your country?
Part 2: Cue Card
Describe someone you know who dresses well. You should say
- who they are
- how you know them
- what kind of clothes they wear
and say why you like the way they dress.
Part 3 Sample Questions
- How important are clothes and fashion to you? [Why/Why not?]
- What kind of clothes do you dislike? [Why?]
- How different are the clothes you wear now from those you wore 10 years ago?
- What do you think the clothes we wear say about us?
Reading: Clothes and Fashion Vocabulary from QUORA
I am a 28 year old female. How do I dress my age?
- what your style is
- what’s the style you feel most comfortable in
- tees, jeans
- do you like to follow trend?
- most used outfits
- to look age-appropriate
- to choose your color palette
- bright colors
- length that goes down to your kneecap
- to look mature
- to appropriate for all occasions
How To Dress For Your Age | Appropriate Styles For Men Of Different Ages
I recommend to check out this article I found on realmenrealstyle.com. I am not sure it’s going to help you to dress better, but I can assure you’ll find dos of great vocabulary related to different types of clothing.
What’s more, there are a lot of examples of how you can describe different styles.
Finally, it’s a great resource to grasp from context the meaning of words, difference between close terms and accents
- balding man
- board shorts
- casual dress
- to wear any style
- funky, bright colored trousers
- to pair … with
- dress shoes
- to play around a little
- to experiment
- stylish young man
- in the closet
- varying the look
- to dress classic-sharp
- dark blazer
- casual clothing
- casual outfit
- sharp-looking accessories
- well-fitted blue jeans
- a light-colored blazer
- brightly-colored pieces
- conservative outfit
- to look sloppy
- colored sneakers
- saddle shoes
- business dress
- conservative trousers
- dress shirt
- to look like a grown man
- loose, baggy suit
- in-house adjustments
- take something to tailor
- to avoid loose cloth
- to stick to basic styles
- to wear suit and tie
- sports jacket
Podcast: Clothes and Fashion Vocabulary
The 30 Days Of Discipline Podcast: Dress Your Best Everyday
- to dress up
- wearing ties
- dress shoes
- dress pants
- having my wallet in front pocket
- thing that always bothered me
- I’m not dressing badly by any means
- I loved collecting hoodies sweatshirts
- I have that many
- I could wear one for almost everyday of the month
- fits me surprisingly
- a perfect weather for it
- to keep it on in the office
- everybody dresses really casually
- it supposed to be business casual
- I dressed really nice
- dress codes
- can’t wear their pants hanging down
- to be pulled up
- incredibly positive shirt
- to wear leggings
- they are see-through
- yoga pants
- some ladies look really good in them
- regardless of wether you look good…
- distracting and odd
- to be in the mood for that
- I would not wear
- yoga pants can be overly revealing
- school has policy
- to accept
Personal Style Institute: Things to remember when you go into the fitting room
- I am a women of size
- fitting room
- I am trying on clothes
- to have body issues
- you are a lot skinnier than you think
- you do not really know what you look like
- feeling like you are 26
- feeling like your hips too big
- bad dressing
- we know our shortcomings
- people wearing clothing that…
- you should get a stylist
- to wear the right clothing
- to be confident
Clothes and Fashion Videos
To tell the truth, I couldn’t find a decent videos about this topic. A almost gave up , because TED.com is not a place where you can find wide variety of talks about fashion. It’s more about technology, scones and people.
However, eventually I found a video that I liked. Although it has no a lot of useful vocabulary for this topic It carries some good ideas to think about or discuss.
In case you’ve never visited ted.com, there is a great feature called “Interactive Transcript”. As you watch video, you can also see transcript divided into paragraphs with underlined words following video. I believe, It can be very useful for language learners.
TED Talk By Cameron Russel: Looks aren’t everything. Believe me, I’m a model.
- …we can do to transform how we look
- …how we look has a huge impact on our lives
- makeup artist
- free stuff
- 8-inch heels
- … I never get to wear
Links Mentioned in This Blogpost
Feel free to leave a comment if you have something to share (interesting articles, podcast episodes or videos). I’ll be updating this article and adding more useful vocabulary related to Fashion, Style and Clothes.Download this article as PDF