In this article you will find lots of great vocabulary related to Weather. I tried to research on the Internet and find not only vocabulary-rich but also interesting sources to help IELTS test takers master this topic: Articles, Podcasts and Videos. In the end of the article I will leave a link to downloadable PDF so you can save it to your computer and read later. Be sure to use it every time you practice speaking and need useful phrases or words.
I hope it will make your job easier. Just keep on practicing and consume as much various materials in English as it possible
Part 1 Sample Questions
- What’s the weather like in your country?
- Does the weather affect your mood?
- How do rainy days make you feel?
- What’s your favourite season of the year?
- What do you like to do when it’s hot?
- What do you usually do in the winter?
- How many seasons does your country have?
Part 2: Cue Card
Talk about your most favourite Season in your country
- What is it and when does it come?
- Why do you like it?
- Changes happen in this season.
- Things you like to do in this season.
And explain the season in brief.
Describe a kind of extreme weather.
You should say:
- What it is
- When did it happen?
- Where you were
And explain how you felt at that time
Part 3 Sample Questions
- What should you do in a bad weather?
- Will bad weather mould or change people’s personality?
- What is the relationship between weather and culture?
- The climate has changed these 50 years. Have you noticed the changes?
- How does weather influence people’s personalities in your country
- What are some other examples of bad weather in the world?
- How do people deal with bad weather?
- Do you think there is anything that we can do to prevent bad weather?
- Do you think there are any problems with the world’s climate now?
- How do you think these problems were caused?
Reading: Weather Vocabulary Found on Quora
- Sub-Arctic climate
- I lived in a warm place., until I was 20
- temperature often going over 30 degrees
- arctic storms
- snow and ice can be found every month of the year
- it took some time to get used too it
- horrid wether
- it’s ok most of the time
- I can’t manage to feel good in…
- people get use to just about everything given time
- warm summer
- variety of weather found to be found in my country
- pleasant day
- sunny skies
- expecting storms over the weekend
- wide range of climates
- yo experiencia a wide range of weather phenomena
- this time of the year is mostly cold
- sunny in the afternoon
- monsoon rains
- the end of the hot season
- occasional cyclone
- to bring the floods
- it’s been fairly wet
- it’s been cold
- we’ve had few freezes
- if the sun comes out…
- temperature can go up to…
- it’s been pretty mild
- it’s only snowed a small amount twice
I can’t stress it enough how valuable this source for those who need to learn Weather vocabulary. Luke from teacherluke.co.uk provides a ton of free audio materials for English learners. He’s professional and experienced teacher with a very popular podcast.
What’s great about this resource is that you can find transcript for each episode including one devoted to Weather.
Here are some of the words and phrases related to seasons and weather I found in his podcasts episode:
- t’s very unpredictable
- very dull weather
- there’sno rain
- when it rains you get wet
- it rains a lot
- it gets boring
- to have hot weather throughout the year
- it’s too hot today
- you need rain to cool you down
- windy weather
- it’s hot weather
- it’s so humid
- when it’s too hot you get stressed out
- to relax indoors
This is second podcast episode about weather I found on Luke’s blog. Enjoy it!
You can find transcript of this podcast on Lukes’s website an what’s great he posted a complete list of weather vocabulary with definitions. Therefore I will not be copy pasting text from his page. Here is a small list of words you can find there:
- light rain
- a shower
- a downpour
- a storm
- a gale
- a blanket of snow
Video: Weather Vocabulary | How The Weather Affects Our Mood
- rainy weather
- sun creates more positive moods
- sun creates the sense of vitality
- when it’s sunny we tend to be….
- when you are exposed to sunlight…
- some people don’t have enough sun exposure
- winter months
- on sunny days people are more likely to…
- to respond positively to…
- negative moods
- gloomy weather
- some people are just more
- cloudy days
IELTS Resources: Talking About The Weather
I just wanted to share this article called IELTS Speaking Test Part 2 sample answer: Talking about the weather I found onDailyStep.com. I believe it can be very helpful for your preparations. Full answer with transcription, downloadable audio, useful vocabulary and synonyms can be found there. Be sure to check it out.