Hometown is very common topic for IELTS speaking test. That’s why I devoted this post to it. I’ve collected IELTS speaking questions for part 1, part 2 and part 3. If you want to learn what words and phrases to use when talking about your hometown, then you definitely should read this article.
There is also a number of examples (articles, podcasts and video) of how native-speakers talk about their hometown and what are words which they use. In the end of the article, there is also quick links to a few most helpful lessons from professional teachers who gave their answers to help IELTS candidates with this topic.
What you will find in this article:
- Common questions from Part1,2 and 3 of speaking test.
- Collocations, words and phrases that will help you to talk about food and diet.
- How other people tell stories related to hometown and places we live.
- Links to useful materials which you can use to read articles, listen podcasts and watch video about city, town and how to describe them.
- Vocabulary from sub-topics and related areas such as: sightseeing places, famous local people, city’s location, urban problems.
Part 1 Sample Questions
- Describe your hometown.
- What’s special about it?
- Where is your hometown located?
- Is it easy to travel around your hometown?
- What is it known for?
- What do people in your town do?
Part 2 Sample Question: Cue Card
Describe your hometown
• Describe the place
• What is special about it?
• Compare it to other cities in the world?
Part 3 Sample Questions
- In what ways can you improve your hometown?
- What is the main reason for liking a hometown other than the fact you were born there?
- Most people in this world do not live in their hometowns. Why?
Reading: Hometown Vocabulary Found on QUORA | What is Your Hometown Famous For?
- there is a big…
- it has… then any place I’ve visited
- more than … % of the town …
- I don’t have much fondness for my town
- I was born, raised and still live in a city called ….
- …the biggest city of in northwestern ….
- among other things … is known for being…
- [city name] …is home of the famous…one of the biggest cities known for…
- … is also known for a couple of dark things
- we have a very cool…
- we have food tourism
- the local … team attracts fans from…
- I’m from… My home city is … situated in the north of the country
- … is famous for many things
- here are few of them…
- its geography gave birth to [city name]’s …
- as well as being famous for… [city name] is famous for….
- [city name] boasts 2 football teams
- as well as …. [city name] is famous for [person’s name] – Olympic gold medalist
- [city name] has produced some world famous musicians and bands
- it is only available in [city name]
- I live in a small town in … called [city name]
- many would think a small town wouldn’t have much to be famous for, though they would be wrong
- … was invented here
- then there is our famous writer …
- the town has also been mentioned on …. for …
- there is also local food item known as ….
- the town I grew up [town name] isn’t famous for too much
- regional market
- harbor town
- it’s at the southern end of….
- there is a small university there, [name of university]
- the place I live now, [city name], is most famous for…
- once you get outside of town
- the town itself grew up on ….. money
- imposing local buildings
- at one point there was a huge…
- it closed in …
- …. ware constructed in this area in … century
- we have here one of the more interesting constructs I’ve seen…
- we have local delicacy
- if you are ever in the area
- we also just got one of the newest…
- most of all, the whole region is known for…
- there are … growing around
- city’s culture
- the downtown got reshaped
- dramatic change
- ropeway conveyor
- the central train station
- industrial facilities
- familiarity of people around me
- the place where you have been born
- the place where you have been brought up
- fresh air
- less crowded roads
- people trusting each other
- neighbors caring for neighbors
- my hometown make me feel like a kid
- family and parens
- simple but rich life
- accessibility from one end to other end of town i shortest time
- people who know me on a first name basis
- family and friends
- roadside tea stalls
- where I live now
- 5 minutes away fro us
Podcast: Hometown Vocabulary | The Urbanist – Hometown bound
- life of neighborhood
- cities we live in
- places that we know intimately
- after years living away
- it used to be
- it really improved economically
- growing rapidly and expanding
- small town can offer a real sense of place
- growing fast as business center
- small lake city
- tourist and college town
- massive concrete statue
- [city name] is long way from…
- economic center
- you have to drive 2 hours to go to…
- a paradise for sports lovers
- my dad takes me to…
- the local team won the bronze medal at the … in 20…
- we have world class medical center
- we have university
- we have a lot of government services
- a lot of retail
- it’s wonderful place to have kids and to live
- it’s really clean
- the area is perfect
- we don’t really have much of any pollution
- there is small industries
- large new building
- many local businesses
- [city name] is surrounded by ….
To find more vocabulary listen to full podcast episode by visiting soundcloud page or download using the link below
Video: Hometown Vocabulary | It’s Our City. Let’s Fix It (TED.com)
Find More Resources
- Podcast 73 – Brisbane – The River City [slowenglish.info]